Lesson 1 - Home and General tab

Go down

Lesson 1 - Home and General tab

Post by Claire on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 am

Firstly when u log in you will see two boses one saus simple the other advanced, this is whether you want the admin panel to be simple or advance, advanced gives you lots more options but most things can b done in simple! When you are happy with the controls and how things work try out the advanced section! its not much different.

Home tab

This pages tells you all the forum statistics, who is online and where in the forum they are, the top 5 recent members etc etc. This is all more for information rather than editing.

General Tab

Forum
Configuration - This gives you a page of options for changing information on the forum, i.e the site name, default language etc. This page rarely needs touching.

Categories and Forum - Here is where you can add, move or remove boards and categories. The green plus sign means add a board in this section, orange cog wheel means edit, and red x/tick is for setting permissions as to who is allowed to read, post etc. and the red x is to delete.

When adding a board click on the green plus sign and fill in the neccessary info i.e. board name, if it is attatched to anything i.e a sub board, where u want it positions etc. Then you can if you want give it an image and a description (which we dont normally do, but if you want to u can add img codes for images). Make sure auto pruning is off and click save, it will then ask you for permissions and you need to tick the boxes accordingly or chose a preset from another forum i.e if you are creating a admin only board you know the admin room allows only admin in so click the admin room preset and it will set it automatically. THen click save and your board is created!!

Security - This gives you a list of options for security i.e admin panel needing a password for access etc and a list of all latest actions made in the admin panel i.e who logged in when, boards editing or created etc etc.

Last edited by Mummyof2girls on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total

Claire
Co - Admin
Co - Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson 1 - Home and General tab

Post by Claire on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:12 am

Messages and Email

Configuration - This customerises forum options i.e number of posts posts displayed per page, if you allowed bbcode, html etc. Again this rarely needs touching.

Private Messages - This is options for pms, and what is written in the welcome msg again this rarely needs touching!

Emails and Contact Form - This is for info on admin email address, signature on emailsetc. again this rarely needs editing.

Announcements - In here you can configure announcements to be displayed as page headers. You need to click on the green cross to add an annoucement, and then they are scroled across the top of the page! This is useful for competitions reminders, birthdays and special occasions and quiz nights etc.

Claire
Co - Admin
Co - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:16 am

Censoring

word censoring - In here we can censor words i.e if someone swears we can replace it with ***, so far we havent bothered.

Username censoring - Here you can list user names that arnt permitted i.e swearing, test etc. again we havent edited this yet.

Claire
Co - Admin
Co - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:20 am

Newsletter

Write and Send - This is to write messages to send to members. You have to remember to change the recipients to certain people i.e admin, all members, inactive members etc. Then add a subject and a message, then click preview to see what message will be seen when sent then if you are happy click send email!

Savebox - This shows all old sent messages, it also allows you to edit and resend old messages if needed!

Claire
Co - Admin
Co - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am

Reports

Configuration and permissions - This doesnt need touching at all.

Reason Management - Here you can create a list of reasons for people reporting posts to admin, i.e spamming, bullying etc. So far we havent needed to create any but im thinking maybe we should.

Report List - Again this doesnt need to be touched.

Claire
Co - Admin
Co - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:26 am

Rules and FAQ

Additional Rules - This allows you to add rules to the terms of service you agree to when registering (the bit where is asked if you are under or over 13) So far we havent added any but maybe we should.

FAQ - This allows you to add FAQs to the forum, i am unsure about how this works as again this so far has not been touched but maybe we should experiment with it at some point.

Claire
Co - Admin
Co - Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:26 am

The End of Lesson 1!

Claire
Co - Admin
Co - Admin

Back to top Go down